Young people should watch and enjoy fireworks at a safe distance and follow the safety rules for using sparklers. Only adults should deal with firework displays and the lighting of fireworks. They should also take care of the safe disposal of fireworks once they have been used.
- Only buy fireworks marked BS7114
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time
- Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary
- Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks except when ready to light
- Light the firework at arm’s length with a taper and stand well back
- Never return to a firework once it is lit
- Don’t put fireworks in pockets and never throw them
- Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators
- Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire
- Keep pets indoors
- Don’t set off noisy fireworks late at night and never after 11 pm
- It is an offence to let fireworks off during night hours (11pm to 7am), except on Bonfire Night (midnight), Diwali, New Year’s Eve, and Chinese New Year (1am)
These are often viewed as being harmless but they do burn at very high temperatures. Sparklers should not be given to anyone under the age of five. To a young child, the heat from a sparkler is equivalent to the heat from a welding torch.
- Never give them to young children under 5
- Always wear gloves with sparklers, preferably leather ones
- You can also insert sparklers into a carrot to make them easier to hold
- Hold it at arms length while an adult lights it for you
- Never wave it about near someone else as you could burn them
- Never hold a baby in your arms when you are holding a sparkler
- When the sparkler has finished, put it in a bucket of cold water straight away and leave it
For further information please visit the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)- Opens in a new window or Health and Safety Executive (HSE)- Opens in a new window websites.